Thursday, June 28, 2007

Lightning-ed Out...

Had draft league again tonight. The heel didn't feel great, but I figured that I should at least try since my draft team needs me more than the Illuminati do. I had bought some new insoles to replace what was left of the originals, but due to the apparent preponderance of shin splints the only insoles I could find were massively insulated and didn't fit worth a damn. It was intermittently raining at the fields and by the time the lightning rolled around (along with a lot more rain) we were up 10-4 or so and I had had enough of playing. We won due to weather and I couldn't decide whether to curse the heavens for the weather or thank the Gods for getting me off the field.

Perhaps this is just a geographic thing, but on reflection I can remember only a handful of tournaments that I've played in college in inclement weather. Ignoring wind, it seems that significantly bad weather usually gets tournaments cancelled (exceptions: Salisbury freshman year, Rutgers-Sectionals sophomore year) in the tri-state area. However, my first two tournaments in AK were held in bad weather and I've heard of a number of tournaments on the west coast that almost advertise their bad weather. I talked briefly to Meredith about this and she thought that fields were cared for more frequently (re-sodded, maintained) on the west coast. Then why the hell aren't fields on this coast cared for? Having tournaments rescheduled/moved is frustrating and problematic for teams and tournament directors. Perhaps securing better fields with better funding should be a primary concern of the UPA.

Today's Workout:
Mercer Draft League (abbreviated)

On the iPod:
The Possibility and the Promise by Amber Pacific

No comments: